Sections South to North
Caribou River Wayside to Cook County Road 1
Caribou River Wayside Trailhead: At Hwy. 61 milepost 70.5 on left side of highway. No overnight parking.
Alternate Parking Option: At Hwy. 61 milepost 73.3 turn north on Sugarloaf Rd. and go 1.5 miles to parking lot on left. Overnight parking okay.
- Ascends dramatic Caribou River gorge
- Follows ridges with overlooks through mixed forests
- Features Alfred’s Pond, Dyer’s Creek, and Two Island River
Cook County Road 1 to Temperance River State Park
Cook County Road 1 Trailhead: At Hwy. 61 milepost 78.8, turn left on Cook Co. Rd. 1 (Cramer Rd.) and go 3.6 miles to parking lot on right. Overnight parking okay.
Alternate Parking Option #1: Skou Road parking lot. At Hwy. 61 milepost 78.9, turn left and go 0.1 mile to small parking lot on right at 90-degree turn in road. A 1.5 mile spur trail goes to the main trail. Overnight parking okay.
Alternate Parking Option #2: Forest Rd. 343 (Temperance River Road) parking lot. At Hwy. 61 milepost 80.2, turn left (north) and go 0.9 miles to trailhead parking lot on left. Overnight parking okay.
- Follows the historic Cross and Temperance Rivers for several miles
- Rich old growth maple forest with views at Tower Overlook
- Crosses Fredenburg Creek and follows along Boney’s Meadow, an old beaver pond
Temperance River State Park to Britton Peak
Temperance River State Park Trailhead: At Hwy. 61 milepost 80.3 on left side of highway. No overnight parking. Overnight parking allowed at other parking area in park with state park sticker; check-in with state park staff.
- Climbs along thundering Temperance River in gorge
- Incredible views from top of Carlton Peak
- Spur trail to Ted Tofte Overlook
Britton Peak to Oberg Mountain
Britton Peak Trailhead: At Hwy. 61 milepost 82.8, turn left on Cook Co. Rd. 2 (Sawbill Trail) and go 2.7 miles to parking lot on right. Overnight parking okay.
- Rolling hike through maple and birch forests
- 0.2 mile spur to Britton Peak and amazing views, particularly during fall color season
- Spruce, balsam, cedar forest as trail ascends to Leveaux Mountain
- 1.3 mile Leveaux Mountain Loop
- Considerable mud on this section except in dry times
Oberg Mountain to Lutsen Mountains Recreation Area
Oberg Mountain Trailhead: At Hwy. 61 milepost 87.5, turn left on Forest Rd. 336 (Onion River Rd.) and go 2.2 miles to parking lot on left side of road. Overnight parking okay, outhouse at trailhead.
Lutsen Mountains Recreation Area Trailhead: At Hwy. 61 milepost 90.1, turn left on Cook Co. Rd. 5 (Ski Hill Rd.) and go 2.9 miles to recreation area. Park in general parking areas or continue 0.3 miles up road past gondola and restaurant to small trailhead parking lot on left. Overnight parking okay in both areas. Bathroom, restaurants, drinking water at trailhead.
- 9 spectacular overlooks on 1.8 mile Oberg Mountains loop
- Maple forests changing to birch and spruce
- Tough climbs and descents of Moose and Mystery Mountains
- 0.8 mile spur goes to Lutsen Mountains gondola. Spur trail closed Nov 1 – June 1 for ski season.