Current Trail Conditions
-October 18, 2016: The Split Rock River bridge is CLOSED. You can still hike up either side of the loop, but you will have to return the way you came. Long-distance hikers can take spur trails to continue their hike through: Northbound, at junction with spur trail turn right (south-east) toward the Split Rock River Wayside. From the wayside, take paved trail to Hwy 61 underpass and turn left. After 0.2 miles, spur trail to main SHT is on left across Hwy 61. Follow spur trail 0.4 miles to junction with main SHT.
-October 18, 2016: MUCH OF SUPERIOR HIKING TRAIL TO BE CLOSED FOR FIREARMS DEER SEASON NOVEMBER 5-20: The SHT is closed wherever there is private land in a trail section or whenever a public land managing agency requests that the SHT be closed. The trail will be closed from: 1) Rossini Road Trailhead west of Two Harbors to Sugarloaf Road (Hwy 61 milepost 73) south of Schroeder; 2) Caribou Trail Trailhead north of Lutsen to Bally Creek Road Trailhead; 3) from Cook County Road 58 (Lindskog Road) north of Grand Marais to Jackson Lake Road Trailhead north of Hovland.
Gooseberry, Split Rock Lighthouse, and Tettegouche State Parks will be open to the public on the lake side of Hwy 61 but closed to the public on the inland side for a special deer hunt. Temperance River State Park does not have a special deer hunt but is open to hunting above the gorge/waterfall areas and west along the Cross River. Cascade River State Park will have a special deer hunt and be open to hunting above the waterfall area and west of the river, including Lookout Mountain. Judge Magney State Park will be open to hunting in all areas except the lake side of Highway 61 and on the trail up to Devil’s Kettle Falls.
October 22, 2016: The Superior Hiking Trail in Duluth will be closed going south from the Martin Road Trailhead to Pleasant View Road, a trail distance of 0.5 miles, from October 24 to November 1, due to a logging operation. There is a signed 0.8 mile roadwalk around the closed section.
-September 11, 2016: FALL HUNTING SEASONS: There is not a lot of hunting from the trail, but it is legal so you need to be aware of it. Archery Deer: 9-17-16 to 12-31-16; Grouse and Small Game: 9-17-17 to 1-1-17; Firearms Deer: 11-5-16 to 11-20-16.
-August 24, 2016: BRIDGES OUT ON THE TRAIL: These streams are crossable in normal or low water conditions, but will be impassable in high water in the spring or after a rain event. It is impossible for SHTA to predict when the streams are crossable.
- North of Two Harbors in the Co Rd 301 to Castle Danger section: The Encampment River Bridge is out permanently. Here are the directions for a 6.8 mile roadwalk around this section:
- From Co Rd 301 (Fors Rd) trailhead parking lot, take the SHT 0.4 miles until it crosses Co Rd 3 (Hwy 3). Turn left (northeast) and go 4.7 miles to West Castle Danger Road. Turn right (east) and go 1.6 miles to where SHT crosses road. Go left on SHT 0.1 miles to Castle Danger Trailhead parking lot.
- Split Rock River Bridge on the Split Rock River Loop north of Two Harbors. Bridge is CLOSED indefinitely.
- South of Grand Marais in the section Cascade River State Park to Bally Creek Road (also on the Cascade River Loop), the Trout Creek Bridge on the east side of the Cascade River is out for the foreseeable future. In high water periods use the trail on the west side of the Cascade River.
-August 24, 2016: When going to the Wild Valley Road Trailhead parking lot south of Jay Cooke State Park, there is road construction on Hwy. 23 right at the turn onto Wild Valley Road and MN DOT has taken down the green sign that says Wild Valley Road. When you turn down the road, you will see some blue blazes or logo signs to know you’re on the right road. The trailhead parking lot is 0.5 miles down the road.
-August 24, 2016: A 1.6 mile section of the Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) is closed permanently from the northern boundary of Gooseberry Falls State Park to Blueberry Hill Road. There is a signed detour on the paved Gitchi Gami State Trail to go around this section.
- The detour starts at the Gooseberry Falls State Park Visitor Center, crosses on the pedestrian bridge under Hwy. 61 over the Gooseberry River and travels for 2.1 miles on the Gitchi Gami State Trail to the Blueberry Hill Road intersection. This intersection is located at about Highway 61, milepost 41.6 by blue fire number #3486.
- At that point, there are two options.
- 1) Cross Highway 61 and walk 1.2 miles north on Blueberry Hill Road, a gravel Lake County forest road, to connect to the SHT and then continue east on the SHT to the Blueberry Hill Campsite, Bread Loaf Ridge, and the Split Rock River Wayside. Absolutely no parking on Blueberry Hill Road!
- 2) Continue another 2.4 miles on the Gitchi Gami Trail to the Split Rock River Wayside, and use the box culvert underneath the highway to reach the parking lot and the continuation of the SHT.
- This detour will last until sometime in 2017.
-August 24, 2016: The Fond du Lac trailhead parking lot in west Duluth is open once again but there is a new 1.1 mile spur trail from the parking lot to the trail. The distance from the Palkie Road Trailhead Parking Lot on the northern boundary of Jay Cooke State Park to Fond du Lac is 8.0 miles. The distance from the Fond du Lac Trailhead Parking lot to 123rd Avenue West Trailhead Parking Lot is 2.4 miles.
Problem Report Form
Report of Trail Condition, Problem, or Maintenance Needed:
(e.g. problem with bridges, downed trees, erosion, trail markers, or campsites)