The SHT Depends on Volunteers!
Over 300 volunteers put in over 6,000 hours every year to keep the Superior Hiking Trail in great shape.
- Give back to the trail
- Learn new skills – no experience is required and volunteers of all abilities are needed
- Make new friends
- See the trail from a different perspective
- Have FUN!
Are you a current volunteer? Thank you! Click here for Volunteer Documents.
Volunteer for Scheduled Trail Maintenance or Construction Projects!
All volunteer projects are under the direction of a Trail Maintenance / Construction Supervisor. Projects may include building trail, building bridges or boardwalk, clearing trees and brush, and weed-whipping. Training is provided and no special skills are required!
Sign up here to be added to the Volunteer Notification List. You will be notified of volunteer projects and can then sign up for any you can attend.
Adopt the Superior Hiking Trail!
There are three ways to adopt the Superior Hiking Trail:
- Adopt a section of trail: Section Adopters inspect and maintain a 2-5 mile section of the trail. Duties include using a handsaw to clear small trees and brush, replacing signs, using water management techniques to divert water from the trail, etc. Section Adopters report to SHTA two times each season – by June 1 and October 1.
- Adopt a campsite: Campsite Adopters inspect and maintain a SHT campsite. They clean out the fire ring, clear brush, and report hazard trees in the area. Campsite Adopters submit reports two times each season – by June 1 and October 1.
- Adopt a trailhead: Trailhead Adopters inspect and maintain a trailhead parking lot 1-2 times per month during spring, summer, and fall. This is better suited for those who live in the area or spend lots of time on the North Shore during the trail season. Trailhead Adopters keep a log of their visits to the trailhead and submit it in November.
Each year 5-10 sections, campsites, and trailheads open up. A waitlist is ongoing. Volunteers may choose to wait for a specific section or can be updated about any available openings. Contact us to learn about current openings.
Volunteer at Events!
- Hike Fest: Help SHTA set up and staff this yearly May event. Contact us for more information.
- Staff Event Booths: Help staff booths at events like Midwest Mountaineering’s Outdoor Expo (April and November). Check out our calendar to learn about upcoming events.
- Campsite Maintenance Report
- Section Leader Maintenance Report
- Trailhead Problem Report
- Trailhead Hours Log *PDF*
- Volunteer Services Agreement with Appendix E *PDF*
- Superior National Forest Job Hazard Analysis *PDF*
- Form for Authorization for Injury Examination and/or Treatment *PDF*
- Addendum to OF-301A Volunteer Services Agreement *PDF*